There’s been some conversation this week in the Detroit area about natural death care. You can read about it in the Detroit Free Press or on WWJ radio website. Let’s hope that the increase in local coverage can help the new Ann Arbor Green Burial Network find it’s footing. We hope to increase the number of local options for green, or natural, burial. Here’s our goals:
- Educate the public about green burial, its benefits and where it is available currently.
- Approach local cemeteries about offering natural burials (plots without a vault and/or plots that are naturally landscaped).
- Assist local congregations that have land to begin offering green burial or other natural memorial options.
- Approach city, village, township and county governments about the possibility of utilizing conserved land for natural burial.
- Investigate opportunities for green burial in rural, abandoned or unclaimed cemeteries.
If you would like to be in the Network, please let me know. We also need funds to take out a full-page ad on or around Earth Day, but we need to collect a lot of signatures before then. I’m setting up a place to do this on Facebook (please “like” us) as well as sending a letter to congregations and groups in the area.
I would love to hear from you! Thanks Ann and Zahra!